BS EN 13727:2003
Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of bactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants for instruments used in the medical area.
Products that can be tested
Chemical disinfectant products that form a homogenous, physically stable preparation when diluted with hard water, or in the case of ready to use products, with water. It applies to instruments (surgical instruments, anaesthesia material, endoscopes etc.) planned to be used in medical areas such as hospitals, nursing homes and dentists for disinfecting instruments by immersion.
Description of Test
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus hirae are used as the target microorganisms.
- A suspension of bacteria is adjusted to a predetermined concentration in a solution of an interfering substance (Bovine serum albumin and washed sheep erythrocytes to simulate dirty conditions).
- The organisms of interest are exposed to the test solution at 20 ± 1°C for 60 minutes ± 10 seconds.
- At the end of this contact time a portion is withdrawn and the bactericidal/bacteriostatic action of the test substance is neutralised.
- The number of viable bacteria is determined following serial dilution and enumeration on an appropriate agar. The reduction in viability is calculated.
Third Party Validation
On passing this test, the product can be labelled astested by airmid healthgroup to BS EN 13727:2003 in support of any claim relating to the test and data received.
4 weeks from receipt of samples
The quality of the third party data we received from airmid healthgroup helped us showcase our innovative strategy of licensing this novel technology at a prestigious international scientific event, the European Innovation Convention. Ultimately this will allow us add value and differentiate our customer offerings through a focus on health and indoor air quality.
Mr. Robert Hickson, MD of VitrA Ireland